Post-doctoral Positions at MiReKoc
Post-doctoral positions at MiReKoc
We are seeking highly motivated postdoctoral fellows to contribute to our ongoing research on international migration at Migration Research Center at Koc University, starting as of September 2019. Applications should be submitted before June, 26 2019!
The researcher will be working under the direction of the director of the research center at Koç University.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow will be expected conduct rigorous quantitative analyses using advanced methods of survey research and causal inference for research projects conducted at MiReKoc, including Horizon 2020 projects, which aims to find workable policy solutions for the global and urgent challenges put by international migration and displacement. The candidate is also expected to have general and expanded interest in mixed methods approaches to research in various fields. S/he will be involved in all aspects of the research, with a particular emphasis on quantitative data collection, cleaning and analysis, reporting and dissemination related activities. Candidates with strong quantitative analysis skills with an interest in mixed methodology are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Range of Research Activities and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting data collection and analysis
- Experience in survey design and data collection, in conducting rigorous quantitative analyses using advanced methods of survey research and causal inference
- Writing up the research for publication, and presenting research papers at conferences.
- Organizing conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Assisting in the financial and overall management of the research and the projects s/he is involved in.
- Writing up new research proposals
Competency and Criteria
Knowledge & Experience
- A PhD in social sciences or who is at the final stage of completing the doctoral studies – preferably in Economics, International Relations, Political Science, or Sociology – with a specific focus on development, public policy, integration, and/or other migration-related topics.
- Experience and advanced knowledge in survey data collection and analysis.
- Experience in mixed-methods and qualitative methods is an asset.
- Experience in organizing high-level workshops with government officials and stakeholders.
- Experience of leading or assisting in the management of a research project.
- Experience writing high-quality research reports and peer-reviewed publications.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Advance knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Experience in visual methods is an asset.
- Command of written and spoken Turkish (preferred).
- Good computer skills with a strong command of Stata, SPSS, Nvivo, MS Office and other relevant software.
September 1, 2019 (earlier if possible)
For one year, extendable for one more year.
Interested applicants should send a letter of intention, a writing sample of published work or work-in-progress and curriculum vitae to email@example.com by June, 26 2019. In an email applying please use “Post-doc position at Mirekoc” as the subject line. Applicants should also make necessary arrangement for two reference letters to be sent in a separate email. Selected candidates will be informed in the first week of July, and interviews will be held in the second week of July, 2019.
Ph.D. students and Postdoctoral researchers
Program for visiting fellows is open to Ph.D. students and postdoctoral researchers who would like to spend two to twelve months at Koç University in interaction with MiReKoc affiliated faculty and researchers, to participate in seminars and workshops and to develop their research in Koç University’s excellent academic environment. Visitors receive a Koç University ID card, therefore can use the facilities and the library only on site. The shared office space is allocated based on availability. Furthermore, the Ph.D. and above level visitors are expected to give a university–wide seminar regarding the topic of their research as well as publish a working paper under MiReKoc Working Paper Series. Please note that MiReKoc does not have funding for visiting fellows. Fellows will be responsible for the arrangement of their own accommodation.
Applicants should send a Letter of Intent that expresses their reasons for application and summarizes their research area, their CV and the names and contact information of two referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent graduates with an MA degree or MA students preparing a thesis
This position is also open to recent graduates with an MA degree or MA students preparing a thesis, who would like to conduct further research, participate in seminars and workshops and to develop their research in Koç University’s excellent academic environment. They are expected to regularly visit the campus and may make use of shared office space, based on availability. Integration to MiReKoc research projects will depend on the necessity during that period and fellows might be asked to support the center with administrative tasks. Visitors receive a Koç University ID card, therefore can use the facilities and the library only on site. Selected fellows can be asked to give a university–wide seminar regarding the topic of their research as well as publish a working paper under MiReKoc Working Paper Series. Please note that MiReKoc does not have funding for visiting fellows. Fellows will be responsible for the arrangement of their own accommodation.
Graduate students and junior professional workers are welcomed to collaborate at MiReKoc during one of the three available terms:
(1) Spring term: Spring term takes place throughout February-March-April-May. Applications are welcomed during the period of 1-15 December every year. The announcements for accepted candidates will be made on the first week of January.
(2) Summer term: Summer term takes place throughout June-July-August. Applications are welcomed during the period of 1-15 April every year. The announcements for accepted candidates will be made on the first week of May.
(3) Autumn term: Autumn term takes place throughout September-October-November-December. Applications are welcomed during the period of 1-15 July every year. The announcements for accepted candidates will be made on the first week of August.
Potential candidates can apply during the periods indicated above by emailing a CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Summer Internship with KUSRP
Koç University Summer Research Program is a seven-week program for motivated undergraduates from different universities who want to improve their research skills and plan to attend graduate school. The program offers the undergraduates the opportunity to gain research experience that helps them decide if they want to pursue graduate education or professional research career. Beginning and ending dates are flexible to accommodate the needs of the particular student and the research faculty, but the usual summer term includes the June-July-August period. Potential candidates interested in doing a summer internship at MiReKoc with KUSRP can apply by filling out the Application Form and returning it to KU Summer Research Program for Undergraduates. For detailed information about the program and application process, please visit the program website.